Tuesday, September 21, 2010

unwanted guest

Well things just got a little more interesting. Let me set the scene first.
Diana was just put in bed asleep and my mom and I are talking at the dinner table when there was a knock at the door. She goes to answer it and a guy walks in with two avocados and sets them on the table while my mom helps someone else at the door. He then proceeds to walk right into my bedroom and hops right in my bed. Now, before I go on, I should tell you that earlier that day I had spent 4 hours in training talking about safety and how you should be careful who you talk to and let around your items because theft is at large in Peru. So back to the guy in my bed who is not welcome. Ok, I panicked and didn’t know what to do so I just stood outside my door and said, hola! He looked at me and said nothing. Luckily my mother realized what was happening and got him out my room and explained to me that he was, “especial.” Once I saw him in the light I realized it and felt horrible. I don’t think she was offended, but since he stayed the night I kept my room locked which turned out to be a good thing because he kept knocking on my door and when I got up to go to the bathroom I heard him scurry away when I would unlock my door. I was in panic mode when I would walk from my room to the bedroom. Haha. Oh and the other person at the door was my grandmother. It was my mom’s mother and she and the boy (who I am not sure how he is related) traveled 20 hours to get here from the north. I’m not sure why, but oh well. My grandmother speaks Spanish and the traditional Incan language, Quechea (not sure if I spelled that right). She taught me how to say, “The rain is coming.” She is shorter than me and about half my size. She was rattling off that Spanish faster than I could think so I went to bed soon after she arrived.
Oh and I also learned that Pio is my father’s brother. So he is my uncle. Not my father. I’ll get to that later. At the training center today we started our Spanish class and it is taught in Spanish. Gah. I know it’s better, but honestly, ¾ of my day is nothing but Spanish. It’s weird because when I try to type in English my mind still thinks in Spanish. Life is weird right now and it hasn’t even been a week!!
I finally got to see the kitty and it’s not a kitty, but sounds like one. Every time I say hola it meows. It is yellow and white. It reminds me of my cat Lucy. At the training center we have a dog that I am in love with and want to kidnap named Lulu. Lulu makes me so happy because when I am overwhelmed we snuggle on the grass.
Ok back to my dad. After training me and the other gringos walked around to see each other’s houses and once we were done with that I went to find my father and Diana! He is super nice and named Jorge. He speaks Spanish super fast, but I am learning to keep up. We talked for an hour about minerals in the north part of the country and how they need more laws to protect them. I thought it was his job, but when I asked I was wrong. Now I have no idea what he does.
At dinner tonight we had rice and milk. It was the best food ever!!! I have a feeling though since the milk is probably full cream and thick I will probably get sick. Hopefully not, but I bet I will. Grrrr.
And I will end on the best quote of the day by Michael: No amount of snuggies can cure cerebral palsy

No comments: