Friday, January 14, 2011

Banana Pancake Success

As usual I always have problems with the buses that go from my site to Piura. On the way to Piura they tried to pass my site saying I didn’t have a pass, but once I got on the bus to prove it he said he was joking. I yelled at him for about 15 minutes and I spoke Spanish so fast I don’t even recall what I said. I know it made sense because another lady on the bus was agreeing with me. The drivers just laughed it off. On the way back to site they didn’t have any drivers so we ended up leaving two hours late. The closer to site I got the worse the roads got. We bounced all over that mountain and it scared the crap out of me. I have to say it was the scariest bus ride I have taken. Those bus rides are one thing I will not miss at allllll.

Once I got back from Piura I have NO idea who was at our house, but I sure as hell didn’t like her. I noticed her playing cards with my family when I got back and then I realized she was staying at our house. I didn’t starting having my problems until the next morning when she starting talking as LOUD AS POSSIBLE at 7am. She was making all kinds of racket outside my bedroom door and it drove me crazy. She kept this up for next few hours and I can’t put into words how loud and annoying she was. Then I decided I would go out the front door of the house to avoid punching her in the face. Well she ended up going down the same time as we did and gave me a speech on how she wanted me to only go out of the front door. As soon as I heard that I tuned her out because I was so mad I don’t even know her reason why.

My next encounter with her was when I was trying to just watch some Grey’s Anatomy and she started her racket making all over again and I couldn’t even here my computer and she was OUTSIDE. So I decided that during her afternoon nap I was going to blast music on my computer and then go outside her window (where the balcony is) and read, listen to music and make some bracelets. I don’t think I woke her up at all due to her loud snoring, but oh my gosh I am hoping she doesn’t stay for much longer.
I later figured out she is my mom’s sister and that my host sisters find her annoying too. She kept telling us to change the TV to something she liked even though the three of us liked what was on. They were really frustrated by her and yes, each morning she seemed to be louder than the morning before. To give you a visual of her, she wears a jean cowboy hat, jeans so tight that her fat hangs over them and a shirt that isn’t long enough to cover that fat. She is also missing a few teeth.

Another day I was bonding with my sisters on the balcony and I realized that they make fun of their grandmother too. I never understand what she is saying and I know she talks to herself all the time, but what I didn’t know is they find it just as funny as I do. We laughed for a good 15 minutes at grandma rambling all over the porch. I know grandma always tells me something about the upstairs door and people stealing her clothes and that’s why we need to keep the upstairs door locked, but I thought I was just misunderstanding her because who the hell would rob us and why they hell would they want her clothes? But, my host sisters informed me that, yes that is what she is saying and in fact she is a little crazy because no one would rob us and if they did, they wouldn’t want grandma’s clothes.

This week was also fun because I taught my family how to make banana pancakes. I told them about making pancakes with Brittany last week and they seemed interested in them so I offered up teaching them how to make some good ole American pancakes. Little did they know it would be my first time making pancakes from scratch as well! It ended up going really well. I tasted the batter and knew it needed a little more milk and after that we starting cooking them. It was also different then the few times I have made them because this time they were being cooked over fire…not a stove. Haha. After a few bad ones and trying to get the heat just right, we ended up having about 10-15 delicious pancakes that everyone seemed to love.

They were asking questions about ways people eat them and when I told them a little butter on top with some syrup my host mom left the room and brought back a water bottle that she had filled with sugar cane syrup right off the cane. We threw some of that and butter on top and they loved them even more. I told them they could use strawberries instead of bananas and maybe even mangos. It ended up being one of the most fun days…especially when a passerby saw a gringa cooking in the kitchen and had to stop and watch for 10 minutes. My annoying host aunt kept telling me the pancakes needed to be fried, but I kept telling her that they would basically be like tortillas and that wasn’t the point.

I also informed my family that I was returning back to the States (wait for another blog post on why I am leaving). Needless to say, this broke all of our hearts. We cried for a good 15 minutes hugging each other and then talked about it. They knew I was going to be going to Lima for a few days so I now have the phone number of everyone in Lima that they know. I plan on trying to spend time with my old host family and my host sister from here who is back in Lima. Telling them I am leaving has been the hardest thing I have done yet. I love them so much and they really are my family. They told me that I am their daughter now and when I am in Peru they are here to take care of me. I assured them that my friends, family and house in the USA are now their friends, family and house.

No comments: