This last weekend I went to Piura and it was a blast. We had our January regional meeting which meant everyone was coming in from Piura and Tumbes. Saturday was spent just getting things done. I got some laundry dry cleaned, printed some pictures, made my phone calls among other things. After the errands with Jillian and Brittany we decided it was necessary to have a pedicure. It was cheap which is why it later was messed up that night, but oh well. At least my feet don’t look like they have been wondering around a muddy mountain for a couple months. I’m sure that will all change once I return to site. For lunch we wanted to return to a restaurant that we went to when visiting Piura during training. We forgot the name, but knew the city it was in. Once we hailed a cab and got to the city, the next step was getting a moto taxi after we figured the name of course. We knew the name of the place had the word Azules in it and the moto driver claimed he knew where it was. He then took us to a blue building (azul means blue). Here’s how that conversation went:
Moto: Here it is
Me: This is just a blue building
Moto: No. They moved the restaurant here.
Me: That sign says, “for sale,” and this is an empty building.
*moto driver takes off again and mysteriously takes us to the right place*
Whatever. Haha. We walked in the restaurant, sat down and began looking at the menu. We all agreed that the menu and restaurant looked a little different, but it had the same food and we remembered where we sat. Jillian said her chicken was different, but mine and Brittany’s fried shrimp and fish was the same. After paying the bill and walking to get another moto driver we then realized we ate at a restaurant next door to the restaurant we actually wanted. At least the food was good.
For dinner that night we went to a pizza place just down the way from our hostel. One night I had a pineapple, bacon and peach pizza. It was DELICIOUS!!!! Who would think that peaches on a pizza would be good? I can’t wait to make it when I get back! This night though, we went all Italian. It wasn’t like any Olive Garden or Fazzoli’s though, but it worked. It was complete with Pisco Sours, although not Italian…delicious and garlic bread.
The next day I spent just chatting with the friends and family in the States and also with my Tumbes people. We all caught up about things at site and good stories. Later we went to see Tron at the movies and although in Spanish, I was able to get the entire thing. It was such a great movie. I can’t wait to watch it again, but hopefully in English. Haha.
One thing that made this weekend complete was that my host family in Chaclacayo called me. It was so good to talk with them and just catch up on everything. They are so sweet and I miss them so much. They want me to call them and let them know when I am in Piura so they can call me. Seriously, I think I will just runaway and live with them forever.
My last eating adventure ended up being more like a discovery. We went to the new Plaza Vea that just opened up and heard rumors of a Burger King and Pizza hut being new in town as well. On a side note: I bought a two-person tent for 50 soles which is like $20 American dollars. Impulsive buy…yes. Get over it. So after talking with some security guards who complemented me on my Spanish we went to Tottus which is like the competitor of Plaza Vea because they said that Burger King lies they…and boy were they right. Not only was there Tottus and Burger King, but there was KFC, Pizza Hut, nice clothing stores, other local chains of restaurants and in the future a Starbucks and Cinemark is opening up. It’s a mall in the works. Best. Discovery. Ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment