Hello everyone! For those of you who don't know me my name is Kaitlyn and I am about to graduate from MTSU with a degree in the Recording Industry/Music Business with a minor in Journalism. Why is this blog called Hide-and-Seek in Mozambique you ask? Well I have just been nominated for the Peace Corp! All I know so far is I will be in Africa in a Portuguese speaking country working in Health Extension with a focus on HIV/AIDS outreach leaving in September.
With my investigative research I believe I am headed to Mozambique. Peace Corp is only in two Portuguese speaking African nations (that I have found): Cape Verde and Mozambique. Mozambique has a HUGE focus on HIV/AIDS awareness and Cape Verde does not. So, that's my best guess as to where I am going. Not official. Just a guess.
I won't find out where I am going for sure until I pass my medical clearance (which I hear is horrible). Once I pass that I should find out around July my official date I leave and the country I will be serving in for the next 2.5 years of my life. I have to send my recruiter proof of my Spanish classes before the medical clearance will be mailed. I will be mailing it to him next week because I graduate!!! So, join me on this long journey and see what "shenanigans" I end up getting myself into.
6 comments:
What's involved in the medical clearance???
I am currently engaged in the medical process. The length is determined by your medical history. I am required to see 3 specialists and get 4 shots before I can be cleared.
GOOD LUCK!!!!
Whitney: An EXTREMELY detailed medical exam and dental exam. Dental I have no worries. The rest I think will be fine, just still concerned. So wish me luck!
You're at MTSU? I went to Berklee college of Music and did Music Business. I think I knew some students from MTSU - I was very much involved in MEIEA/MEISA. Are you familiar with that organization? I think's still around.
I've sent my PC application in, but can't start the process until Sept since I can't leave until Sept '11. Working on a career change and doing an MA in International affairs.
The music thing got me thinking about doing music as a secondary project. But gotta get nominated first! Long ways away for me.
I wish you well and all the luck in your adventure.
-Brian
Brian: Yes I am at MTSU!!! That is so cool that you have a music business degree and are doing the Peace Corp. Haha. I'm not alone! I am familiar with that organization. I think it's more on the pro-tech side instead of business. I turned in my application last September and just got nominated in April. I keep remembering patience. Lol. Good luck and let me know if you have questions!!!
Best wishes to you. My daughter is currently serving in the PC and is located in Pemba, Cabo Delgado, Mozambique. She left September of last year and is service as a Community Health Promoter. You are correct about Moz being one of the few Spanish speaking countries. For a while, my daughter thought she might be going to Cape Verde, as well, but we were thrilled that she got Moz. She has a BA in International Studies, with the emphases being the colonized Sub Suharan countries. She also has a minor in Spanish which helped her tremendously when learning Portugese. I know the journey is just starting, but all I can tell you is that the application process may be another way of testing your patience and perserverance. Best Wishes, I'll be watching your updates.
Post a Comment