Friday was a “good” Friday, if you will. I went to another Centro de Salud to watch and listen to a typical day. I listened to a lady give information about proper nutrients to give children and another lady gave two HIV tests. It’s interesting to see how these health clinics work because keep in mind, computers aren’t used for anything and there is no HIPA law. For instance, a girl came in to see the result of her HIV test and she was handed a book where it had the results of everyone who was ever given a HIV test there…she just needed to skim the names until she found her own. Kids are running around this place and there really isn’t privacy at all. I was with my friends Nate and Lindsey and we were asked to give a lecture on HIV/AIDS to a group of women who were there. With about 5 minutes of preparation we did pretty well. They appeared to have learned a lot too because we gave them a pre and post test to test their knowledge. It’s interesting to see what questions people have about certain topics here. One lady asked me if there was a cure for HIV or AIDS and most people think they are the same thing too.
Later that day I went to a school with Amy and Jo Ann and we taught HIV/AIDS to a group of kids who were in their early teens. It was very similar to the lecture that I gave earlier in the day. We played some games with them and they seemed to listen somewhat. I just don’t care too much for that age group because they are SO shy and don’t want to do anything, but after telling them jokes and using a lot of slang with them, we were able to get things a goin.
I finished my class early and ended up getting home early to find no one at my house at all. I just sit down by the front door and worked on my tan while listening to some salsa music. While bronzing my skin so I can blend in with the local a bit more, lady from across the street, who I don’t know, walked up and gave me a key to my house and just walked away. It was very strange, but I was happy to go inside and just be alone.
I left before my family got home because I went to grab dinner with Rigel aka La Bamba. Once I got back to my house I told my mom about the strange women she already knew. She told me to just keep the key that way I won’t have to wait again. When I was at the school the zipper on my new purse broke again and I was ticked. I went to ask my mom here if she could fix it and she sent me to my dad and called him an expert. I didn’t quite understand the explanation of why he is an expert at fixing clothing, but he is. He took a sewing machine and a pair of pliers to that purse and it’s better than before I bought it! I swear there is NO machismo in my family here! Weird!
Advice of the day: I learned how to insult/cuss a guy out if he is making cat calls at me. It happens daily and some days I just can’t stand it.
Best moment ever: I was walking to my house alone after class and lately I have started keeping a few cute silly bands on my wrist. Well today I had an airplane one on and while walking, this little girl who looked to be 2 or 3 years old saw me and got the BIGGEST smile on her face. I waved at her and said hello. She waved back and kept staring and grinning big. Her mom appeared to be from the sierra because she had the giant sombrero on. When the mom saw me talking to the little girl she smiled as well so I bent down and pulled the silly band off to show the little girl. I showed her how it’s an airplane when you take it off and I put it on her wrist. She was SO excited. Her mom said thanks and I kept going. That little girl made my day.
In other news that’s not quite so sweet, I am going to kill a dog. The dogs in my community are becoming overly annoying. In the last week I have almost been attacked over 3 times. I walk in the middle of the street because if you are on the sidewalk (if there is on) then they think you want a piece of them…which isn’t true. I have had one dog come to the other sidewalk just to bark at me. I keep rocks with me now so if I have to peg one I am ready. The dang dogs wake me up in the middle of the night barking too. My friend Lindsey and I decided when it’s daytime and the dogs are sleeping we are going to go bark and scream at them so they can’t sleep. Gah I hate the dogs here. They are so mean!!
No comments:
Post a Comment