Thursday, October 21, 2010

Insect Policy

We have new language classes now. I have officially moved from basic to intermediate! Yahoo! On another note: In my house I have a live and let live policy. The other tenants in my house know this policy too, the other tenants being the bugs of my house. There is this invisible line and if a bug crosses it, there is capital punishment. In the last week there seems to be a misunderstanding. I have had to terminate the lives of two cockroaches the size of a small dog. At first I trapped them under a bucket, but I decided if I set them free they will most likely take revenge so I killed them with my sisters shoe (I don’t want bug guts on my shoe..). The Wednesday morning on the sheet that plays the part of the door from the living room to the bedrooms are, there was a scorpion chilling. For the fear of being stabbed to death by this creature, I alarmed my papa who casually scooped him up in a pan and set him free. So future warning to my other tenants and bugs, if you cross the line, I will kill you or have you killed. Consider this a fair warning.
Last night was a good time. It was the first time I didn’t make it to the Wednesday night outing in Chosica. I didn’t go for two reasons. First reason, I wanted to be home early and wasn’t in the mood to go. The second reason, I went out with my local friend Rigel, aka La Bamba. He showed me around some new places in Chaclacayo and we shared some beverages and just hung out. Since the last place we went was a good hour walk in the dark from my house he walked me to my road. The start of my road is beyond steep so I didn’t ask him to hike that bit with me. Haha.
Today I had no run in with bugs, but I did go to Centro de Salud in Chosica and went on house visits. My group wondered around the city going to certain people’s homes who had scheduled appointments. It was interesting to see the different houses and how they looked. One lady had cancer and a dog who hated my trainers. Another lady, I’m not sure why she needed a house visit because I was too busy gawking at the 2 week old kittens learning to walk. It was an interesting time today and since I was outside so much I did get a little sun. If I don’t be careful this gringa may not look too gringa. Or maybe it’s just all dirt and dust…
Tomorrow I am going to teach a class of 10-15 students all about HIV/AIDS…or in Spanish…VIH/SIDA! I have so many awesome activities planned and I hope it goes well and this time around I have students who want to interact.
Here is an interesting play by play I had today too. My Granny sent me these Halloween decorations and since they are a gel like material I thought I would put them on my wall. After they were all on I decided I would move them and when I started to pull them off, the paint came with them or they stained the walls orange and black in pumpkin and spider shapes. I thought I would use my towel to easily rub of the gel, but the towel rubbed the paint off. Now I have 4 places in my room where it looks horrible. Hopefully they won’t notice? Maybe since calendars are the big thing here and it’s “cool” to cover your walls in them I will just hang calendars all over the place…
Another little bit of information, someone has given my little sister a whistle and I am about to stomp on it. I haven’t talked about my little sister too much on my blog, but let’s just say, I’m not a fan. Also, a shout out to Stacey, the skittles are amazing and I am eating them right now! Thank you!!

No comments: