Monday, October 18, 2010

Kaitlyn vs. Peru and the identity crisis

This last weekend I had a little identity crisis. I was an American in Peru celebrating a German drinking holiday, October Fest. But first, I had class at Agraria University and I learned all about chickens. I learned what foods to feed them at what age and what age is best to eat them. We went to all the chicken and turkey houses and they showed us what type of housing they need. It was pretty interesting, but after, friends and I went to Miraflores. This time in Miraflores I went to the beach and talked to some locals who offered to teach me to surf, but I didn’t have enough time. We spent an hour in this park and just enjoyed relaxing. After that we met up with others at Starbucks and took a cab to celebrate October Fest.
On the way there we passed by a Peruvian parade that looked like it was celebrating different departments of Peru. Once we got to October fest we all grabbed a table and some beer. The music was already loud and the people were drinking. The popular Peruvian beer, Cusquena, came out with a special red lager beer just for this and it was delicious. They had drinking contests on the stage, played German drinking music and everyone was having a blast. They also had this lady come around and give everyone a chance to sniff this tobacco stuff. It was weird and made a loud noise when she hit this button, but it smelled very fresh and minty. Eventually the people sitting beside me I got to know. They asked if we were tourists and when I told them we were PCV’s they thanked us over and over. I told them about PC and they were all from Piura and were doctors in Lima. We talked for a while and they said my Spanish was great. Around 7pm we decided to get food and head home. I can’t remember what the name of the food was, but it was typical: rice and chicken. Once our plates were cleared we tried to find a cab who would take us all to Chaclacayo, but no one wanted to go that far. Finally we found a small taxi and all 5 of us crammed in for the good hour drive.
On a side note, I would give anything right now to actually feel clean. I need a date with Mr. Clean bad. My feet look like they belong in Jurassic Park. I can scrub my feet and ten minutes later they look just as gross as they did before. I never feel fully clean after my ice showers. Even if I clean myself with wet wipes and body cleaners, I don’t feel clean!
Another side note, the Japanese population in Peru is at large. You wouldn’t think so, but there is a strong and growing Japanese population here. If I remember correctly, we have even had a Japanese president. Don’t quote me on that.
One more thing, I love coming home from class or for lunch and my family has salsa music blaring as loud as they can. It just puts me in the right mood. I love the music and the dance!
Sunday was my “me” day. It was Kaitlyn vs. Peru. I went on my first solo mission around my surrounding cities. The mission: buy a new purse, find the movie Eat. Pray. Love., and go to the ATM to pay my family.
First, I hopped on the combi and headed to Chosica. After I arrived I went to this pharmacy and had them knock my bills down because you can’t shop at the market with a S50. Then I walked the market high and low asking everyone and looking everywhere for Eat. Pray. Love. I guess that is a highly pirated film because no one knew what I was talking about. I did find a porno with a similar title in Spanish, but I passed. I did end up buying “Going the Distance.” While in the market I found the ATM and had to shoo a lady away who wanted me to take out money for her, but then I went to my favorite Chosica market and found a purse! I bought my purse for almost 10 soles cheaper too! The zipper is a little shady, but I think it will hold up for a good bit. Distance traveled: 15-20K. Time it took: 2 hours. Bought a purse: check. Went to the ATM: check. Found Eat. Pray. Love: No, but bought another move sooo: check. Mission Accomplished. Kaitlyn 1 Peru 0.
Once I went back home and dropped my stuff off I was meeting up with my friend Rigel aka La Bamba. Rigel had his friend with him (forgot his name) and we all went to my favorite panadaria (pastry shop/coffee shop) and had coffee with milk. We all split a piece of lemon pie too! It was fun because although they spoke English, I asked if we could only talk in Spanish to help me practice. After the panadaria the friend went back to Lima and Rigel and I went to a lounge nearby and split a beer. The lounge was playing MTV music videos and was one of the best places I have found to just relax and hang out. It was a little pricey, but still nice. Rigel is a guitar playing surfer so we had plenty to talk about. Last time when we were at the club called Kis Kas it was hard to talk, especially since we were salsa dancing too. My house is a good 20-30 minute walk from the lounge and he walked me half way home because he lives in the opposite direction. Sunday was the best “chill” day I have had in a while. Next week I am going to Ancash for 5 days! Whooo hooo! My first trip out of Lima and into the highlands!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to see youre loving Peru! Sounds like a place I have to see before I die. I think about you sometimes at work when I'm having my "ugh-the-day-I-make-it-out-here! moments" lol. Enjoy your time in Peru!