Thursday, November 18, 2010

Harry, Doctor Visits and Pachamanca

Not too much has happened since I have returned from Piura. We have had more classes as usual and talked about our sites as well. We also had some very entertaining health sessions too. I received lots of special advice from my doctors. The best advice I was given was when I poop my pants (not if, when) to just laugh and send my doctors a picture. I can’t remember if I have mentioned it or not, but we have a, if you will, “poo chart.” It has pictures of types of poo so when I call my doctor about my poo I will have a good description.
One doctor, Sunni, told us a story of how a volunteer called her and said, “Sunni, I was hit by a car.” She replied, “Are you ok?!”
“Yes,” replied the volunteer. “Ok tell me again so I can laugh.” I have the best doctors ever.
We also had a conversation about what type of worm parasites most volunteers get. The presentation included not on only pictures, but an actual stool sample for us to pass around and see a worm. They say every group has volunteers with worms and at the same time we all screamed, “Not it!!!” Then we all took a bet and paid 1 sol and whoever gets the first worm/parasite in our group wins all the money. I haven’t decided if I want to be a winner in this or not. I feel like I might be aiming too high too soon.
I also received my first issue of Pasa La Voz. Pasa La Voz is the Peace Corps Peru magazine that is written by volunteers and for volunteers. It contains articles such as, “The Rules of Naked Glacial Jumping in Peru,” complete with who has the highest amount of counts. There are also articles about the highest number of days volunteers have gone without a shower and why some people smell worse than others. Our doctors did some research on this and found out it depends on the climate and types of food served. There was also a “sanitary quiz.” Don’t worry, I took it and received an ok score. There is room for improvement, but I don’t see that happening soon considering the rainy season is about to start.
A side note on my sanitary habits. I have only been here for two months and I am shocked at myself. Be disgusted if you want, but you don’t live here so you can’t judge fairly.  I usually shower about 2 times a week because it’s torture. (Remember…freezing water). I have stopped caring for my hair because I have come to realize it will never look cute, combed, or decent in the country of Peru. I haven’t decided if it has more of a hippie look or gypsy. Rigel seems to think more of a hippie feel…which makes me have a little more attitude when I walk down the street with Led Zeppelin playing on my iPod. As for make-up, just a little eye make-up because my face is now brown from all the sun. Win. My hair is also getting some golden highlights too which really freaks me out. I have a feeling I am going to look like I have fallen out of the jungle if I don’t watch out. Haha. It’s integration right?
Anyway, last night I went to the midnight showing of Harry Potter and it was awesome. I didn’t realize it was coming out in Peru before the USA so I felt a little extra special. Side note though, it was in Spanish, but I didn’t have any trouble understanding. Before the movie me, Kelsey, Nate and Bj made costumes. We all had brooms made out of bamboo with giant leaves taped to it. I won’t lie, they actually looked pretty dang good. It was interesting to see the looks on people’s faces when we strolled on the combi with those. Stupid gringos.
Today for lunch at the training center the WatSan and Environment group came over and we all had Pachamanca. Pachamanca is a type of food here that is delicious and popular. Basically you dig a hole, put some rocks on the bottom and start a fire, throw in some chicken, potatoes and beans, cover the hole with the dirt in an “organized” way and let it cook. Then you undig the hole and eat. It was sooooo good. We also had real corn bread that rocked my world. I have a little over a week left in the good ole Chaclacayo. I am sad to leave this city, my volunteer friends, local friends and family, but at the same time I am ready for more freedom and independence. I am ready to go and start nesting with my rats, chickens, dogs, roosters, pigs and cats in my new home. I am ready to start working and creating my schedule. But, I will rock Chaclavayo out while I am still here!

No comments: