This was definitely a different type of Thanksgiving. I am going to guess that I was thankful for things usually those in America forget to be thankful for.
For example, I am thankful for: knowing cold showers are only temporary in my life, Cracker Barrel, Cipro, a day where I haven’t eaten rice or potatoes, my family and friends in the USA, my family and friends in Peru, chocolate, toilets that flush, cell phone service, washer’s and driers, the moments when I feel clean, for being American, Peace Corps, the culture and people of Peru, not having diarrhea, bananas, nice dogs, wireless (even though I don’t have it), organized traffic, comfortable beds, knowing that roosters will not always destroy my life, rocks, Wal-Mart, mosquito nets and a lot more random things.
For Thanksgiving our trainers had a breakfast for us. We had fruit bowls, bread with cheese and coffee. It was delicious and we all went around and said what we were thankful for. After that we had a cute slideshow of a ton of funny pictures from the last 10 weeks of training. (It’s possible it might make a YouTube appearance…I will let you know). Then we prepared for a dinner and show for our families. All the families were invited to the training center and we served them American and Peruvian food. I made my Reece’s chocolate cake and they devoured it in a second (thank you Grandma)! It was a time trying to make that cake because I had to literally make the sour cream, but since they loved it who cares. After eating we had a show for them. We did dances, songs and all kinds of weird interpretations. I think they enjoyed themselves.
After the show a group of us went to the plaza and celebrated Thanksgiving ourselves. We shared some beverages and just enjoyed what little time we had together. Once people split off I went and spent some time with Rigel. We did the typical Peruvian thing and watched Al Fond Hay Sitio. It was a different kind of Thanksgiving, but I still loved it. I miss my friends and family in the States, but I was able to share it with new friends and family.
My “black Friday” was not spent fighting crowds and shopping…this year it was the most important day of my PC life. I officially was sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer. I am not longer a trainee….but a volunteer. FINALLY! The US Ambassador to Peru was there and she gave a nice speech to us. We actually have the same oath as the military. There was tons of food, speeches and people at our ceremony, but it was bittersweet. We said our tearful goodbyes to our trainers and I pretended I knew exactly what to do when I get to site. Lol. Fear not, it was not out last time to say goodbye to everyone. Being it was a Friday night and not just any Friday night, but the last Friday night, we went to celebrate. About 40 out of 70 of us went to Chosica and fled to the roof of a bar that had an awesome jukebox. We danced to American and Peruvian songs until the sun came up. The goodbyes were tearful, but I know that because we are Peru 16 we will always be connected. I said my goodbyes slightly before sunrise and went to spend time in Chaclacayo with my local friends I have made. I feel like those goodbyes were harder because it’s a possibility I won’t being seeing them anytime soon, if at all.
Now the training part of my PCV life has closed and it’s time to put this knowledge to work. I am so thankful for my PC family and everything they do for me. I hate leaving my family and friends in Chaclacayo, but I will always plan to come back and visit. Part of my heart will always stay in Chaclacayo.
I will say I am scared, nervous, anxious, excited, happy and sad about leaving. I want to go to Piura, but I don’t want to leave Chaclacayo. I am sure Pambarumbe will become a nice home to me as well, but I just hate leaving the home I have already made.
I have tried to keep this blog updated as often as possible, but I should warn you that there isn’t internet in my site so therefore; this blog will be updated less and less. Stay tuned though because I will do my best to tell you what’s going on. Say some prayers and wish me luck because now it’s time for the real PCV life!
No comments:
Post a Comment