This last weekend was my last weekend in Chaclacayo and it sure was a good one too. Friday night I learned a type of Peruvian traditional dance because I am going to have to perform this dance at our big going away party. I love dancing to my own beat, but I am terrible at actually learning a dance. I think I might be able to perfect it though! After dancing for a few hours I went to my friend Chelsea’s house and we had hamburgers again. This time her mom even put the French fries inside my hamburger. It was actually pretty good.
Saturday afternoon was the last class at Agraria University. It was horribly boring, but afterwards a group of us went to a big market in Lima to shop. I bought some toe nail polish and a new backpack. This guy kept trying to mark the price of these sheets Lindsey wanted to a ridiculous price and we basically fought with him. It was the first time I have really cussed a person to their face in Spanish. It was a good feeling to know I have the ability to haggle in Spanish and be snippy too. Ha. After that we went to the big fancy area called Jockey Plaza. The mall is one of the nicest malls I have seen in my life and it was slowly getting decorated for Christmas. I forget Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up because there aren’t decorations or music, it’s hot and no one is rushing to get presents around it. It’s kinda sad, but at the same time nice. We went to Chili’s to eat and I got a margarita. I haven’t had a Chili’s margarita in two months and this margarita made any form of blues go away. It was beyond expensive, but soooo worth it. After a life-threatening 1 hour taxi ride back to Chaclacayo, Lindsey and I prepared ourselves for our final Saturday night in Chaclacayo.
We started the night off going to Nancy’s house with a ton of other volunteers. Nancy’s mom was throwing a huge party for her host dad’s birthday. There was music, drinks, cakes and snack foods. We got there around 10 and started the party. Things didn’t really pick up until we left which was around midnight. Lindsey, Heather, Heather’s host sister and her friends and I all decided to go to the club in Chosica. We piled all 9 of us into a 5 person car and took off with the music playing and the breeze blowing in the air. Things were just getting started at Aquisito when we got there and they started getting better. Aquisito plays all types of music. There all types of Peruvian and American music which makes it fun for everyone! Without going into too many unnecessary details, more people from our group and the other showed up, Rigel and his friends came and we all danced the night away together until the sun was almost coming up. It was one of the best nights I have had here.
Sunday my family surprised me with lunch to Chosica. My family has never taken me anywhere in public with them. I am telling myself they aren’t ashamed of me, it’s just that they just don’t have the money and time to really go out and do things. We went to this really nice restaurant and all had giant pieces of chicken with French fries. It was super filling and delicious. After that we wondered around the plaza and my sister Diana played a lot of the carnival like games. My mom and I took a break from all that excitement and went to the fruit market and got bananas and strawberries. Diana cried and pitched a fit because we had to leave, but it was kinda funny to watch because my parents were making fun of her.
This was also my last dinner with my uncle. We all watched Hay Fondo Al Sitio and shared some laughs. They also taught me how to “de-ratify” my future room. I just need some nails and some plastic and then I will be good to go. We also played with my mosquito net and they showed me how I can hang it up. I was given the places to go buy the things and how much they should cost! I am ready to get to work!
I can’t believe my time in Chaclacayo is almost up. I’m not sure if I am ready for it. Some days I am ready to get out and others I dread leaving. Whether I am ready or not, Saturday is when I pack up and head out. Friday I swear in to become an OFFICIAL volunteer!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment